St. Petersburg DUI Lawyer
Thousands of Cases Handled in Pinellas County
A DUI conviction in Florida can result in serious consequences, including hefty fines, license suspension, and possible incarceration. It is important to have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side to listen, guide you through the process, and fight aggressively on your behalf in court. Call McNulty Parker Law, PLLC for an experienced St. Petersburg DUI attorney who has handled thousands of cases and will put that knowledge and skill to work for you.
DUI Penalties in Florida
DUI convictions can result in severe penalties, such as jail or prison time, probation, DUI school, a driver’s license suspension, community service hours, vehicle immobilization, installation of an ignition interlock device, fines and court costs, and a permanent criminal record. The penalties depend on whether you have any prior convictions and can be enhanced in certain circumstances, such as causing an accident or having minors in the car at the time of the arrest.
The penalties for a DUI conviction may include:
- First DUI – Up to six months in jail, a fine of up to $1,000, driver’s license suspension of six months to one year, 10-day vehicle immobilization, and mandatory attendance at DUI school
- Second DUI – Up to 9 months in jail when the second DUI occurs within five years of the first, up to a $4,000 fine, ignition interlock device, license suspension up to five years, multiple offender DUI school, and community service hours
- Third DUI – Up to five years in prison, up to $5,000 fine, 10-year minimum license suspension, ignition interlock device, and multiple offender DUI school
- Fourth DUI – Up to five years in prison, a lifetime revocation of your driver’s license, and fines of $2,000 to $4,000
Your driver’s license will automatically be suspended if you fail to submit to a breath or blood test. After being arrested for DUI, you only have ten days to request a hearing with the DMV to fight your license suspension. Retaining experienced legal representation is important in challenging your license suspension.
Possible DUI Defenses
An experienced St. Petersburg DUI lawyer may be able to help get your DUI charges dropped or reduced to a lesser offense. There are several possible defense strategies for a DUI arrest.
Defenses that may apply to your DUI include:
- Police Officer Error – If field sobriety exercises, breath, or blood tests were not properly administered, the results may be challenged.
- Lack of Officer Training – The officer did not have the proper training required to conduct various sobriety or breath tests.
- Improper Breath Machine Balance – If the machine and equipment used for your breath test were not properly calibrated or maintained, the results may be called into question.
- Lab Error – The forensic lab made errors processing your urine or blood sample, which can possibly lead to skewed results.
- You Were Not Driving – If a police officer didn’t see you driving, there may be grounds to challenge the charge.
- Medical Issue – Certain medical conditions can result in signs of impairment, which may be mistaken for DUI.
Anita is a skilled St. Petersburg DUI attorney with extensive knowledge of the law and a good relationship with prosecutors. She will work with you to determine the most effective strategy for your defense and protect your rights at every stage of the legal process.
A Resilient Fighter in Your Corner
Results-Driven Legal Strategies
Thousands of Cases Handled
Extensive Trial Experience